Meetings & Events Australia (MEA) is the largest national association of individuals and businesses covering all sectors of the vibrant industry of meetings, conferences, exhibitions and events.
MEA is an independent not for profit organisation dedicated to the fostering and recognition of professionalism and excellence in all aspects of meetings and events management. We seek to increase industry recognition nationally and promote the value and effectiveness of meetings and events as a high-yield sector of business travel and tourism.
Members of MEA benefit from a wide range of resources and opportunities designed to assist individuals and businesses operating within the industry and supplying the industry to grow and to prosper. These benefits and opportunities include:
Apply for MEA Membership
What MEA can do for you
- MEA company members receive a complimentary listing in the MEA Who's Who business directory. The directory is the premier events industry directory providing a one-stop shop for event requirements covering suppliers of products and services from all sectors of the industry. Upgrade packages are available to enhance your listing and better promote your brand, products and services.
MEA regularly conducts networking events around the country bringing together members from various sectors of the industry. These events are usually held in new or refurbished venues for members to be able to experience these facilities.
- Sponsoring a MEA event or program is an opportunity for members looking to gain exposure and increase their profile to the industry.
- Advertising in MEA publications such as member newsletters enables you to promote your products and services to the MEA database.
Management & Development of Staff
- Professional Development Sessions are held around the country on various topics with speakers from a variety of backgrounds and expertise imparting their knowledge and experience for the benefit of members.
- MEAs education and training arm, the Australian Events Academy, conducts accredited and non accredited qualification courses as well as seminars and workshops on specific topics. All seminars, workshops and courses are developed specifically for the meetings and events industry and delivered by experienced trainers with the aid of industry professionals.
- The MEA website includes a Jobs listing page (JobsMEA) for the listing of industry related job vacancies. Members can post vacancies free of charge to be viewed by candidates specifically looking to work within the meetings & events industry.
- Young MEA (YMEA) events and workshops are designed specifically for the future leaders of the industry (30 years and under) to network together and hear from experienced industry professionals and motivational and specialist speakers. Including mentoring pograms and scholarships, the YMEA program provides the basis of a succession plan for the industry.
- MEA coordinates mentoring programs to bring together employees of members developing their careers with experienced industry practitioners providing guidance and often a different perspective to the challenges facing those building a career within the industry.
- The USI Young Professional Scholarships program is open to employees of members under 30 years of age, with state winners having the opportunity of an expenses paid attendance at the MEA Annual Conference thus gaining exposure, knowledge and experience they would otherwise not have the opportunity to acquire.
MEA Annual National Conference
- The MEA Annual National Conference is held in April/May of each year in a different location, bringing together industry professionals from around the country and abroad. The Conference gives members the opportunity to experience the most up to date technology, industry trends, best practices and global issues along with excellent networking and the very best the host city has to offer. If you are involved in the meetings and events industry, this is the one event you really cannot afford to miss..
Recognition of Businesses and Individuals
- The MEA logo can be displayed on stationery and collateral. Being recognised as a member of the industry body providing additional credibility to your business and assurance to your clients.
- The MEA Industry Awards program recognises excellence and best business practice encouraging industry professionals to excel in the achievement of their business and personal goals, and rewards those who achieve outstanding results. Winners enjoy considerable profile within the meetings industry and with the general buying public.
- The Accredited Meetings Manager (AMM) and Accredited Inhouse Meetings Manager (AIMM) programs are the only TQual recognised meetings & events industry accreditation programs in Australia, with accredited members recognised as being the leaders in their field.
- The MEA Recognition program is open to all MEA members across all sectors of the industry and endorses members who have demonstrated their commitment to the industry and its association in their profession. Recognised members also ensure their skills and knowledge remain current through ongoing professional development.
- The MEA website includes a Member Resources area containing a variety of research documents and resources available for members to view or download. From time to time MEA undertakes industry research as well as participating in research of industry significance, with the resulting reports available to members through the MEA website.
- MEA undertakes to represent the industry on issues of a national importance affecting our members, either directly or through our membership of the Business Events Council of Australia (BECA). MEA is an integral member of BECA, a formalised umbrella structure for the key industry associations operating in the Australian business events sector to develop industry positions on issues of common interest and communicate those views to government and relevant agencies. BECA also provides a forum for the industry associations to exchange information and cooperate on appropriate matters, with a view to strengthening and growing the business events sector in Australia.
Be an industry leader
- MEA provides opportunities for members to be recognised as leaders in the industry through participating in MEA state and national committees, mentoring less experienced industry employees, being an awards category judge, and presenting or being part of professional development and educational sessions to the industry.
MEA Membership Categories
MEA has a number of options of membership available dependent on the type and size of organisation, and your requirements.